Thursday, January 14, 2010

Contracting Automatically Discourages Breaks

I am happy to report that my consulting gig is good. However, I have never been so tired. I think because the contractor arrangement automatically discourages taking any of the breaks to which full-time workers are entitled. Since you are paid by the hour, there is no incentive to take a break for lunch, for instance, that 1/2 hour break representing a loss of real cash. (And, there certainly will be no time off for appointments, sickness and/or vacations.)

In order to maximize my paycheck and fit within an 8 hour day, 9:15 to 5:15 so I can put one child on the bus in the morning and retrieve the both of them in a timely manner after work, I work every minute and eat while I work. I bring lunch to ensure that I do not have to spend any time procuring it. Granted, a "no break" strategy is probably not the best strategy but it is painful to take any break when that break is associated with a dollar amount; I cannot bill for lunch and so I press on.

Every penny counts when you haven't worked in a year and it takes a full three months for the financial benefits to kick in. I keep staring at my spreadsheet - I'm an excel crazy; every cent of my world is captured on spreadsheets - and it is clear that I will not get ahead of my obligations for at least three months. I have heard this from others who have returned to work; it takes a while for those new dollars to make a dent. Thankfully, the company likes me so far and I'm making headway on my project. That's all I can ask for and so I press wearily, but happily, on.

No comments: