Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Candidate for Sale

Boy, have I been suffering technical difficulties. My laptop is on the fritz and I can't seem to get myself to a stationary PC to do my post. We have the heat concentrated in a few areas in the house so the laptop gives me the flexibility to write without freezing to death which is what I'm doing now. Since I do not want to be one of those blog writers who suddenly disappears into the blogosphere with nary a notice nor a warning, here I am.

Even though I did not write much down, my brain was a constant whir what with the Supreme Court decision that essentially unleashed unlimited corporate funds, both foreign and domestic, into our election process. The corporation, they determined, is a living being and therefore entitled to free speech. Great! Now they can blatantly undermine the free will of the people by essentially buying elections if they so choose and what can we do about it? Lobbyists just received the largest boost a high court could ever bestow. Congress, so far, has been powerless before them and now, Congress might as well attach sponsorship logos to their suits.

In response, I am offering myself up. I am willing to be a bought candidate. Why not, I'd have fame, power and somehow, after serving in office, I'd be rich. What's not to like for the common man, so sayeth Newt Gringrich. He posited that the Supreme Court decision is great for middle class candidates because now they will have access to a larger donation pool. Oh have we taken a leap back.

No comments: