Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Houston, we have a problem...

So, snow it did, all night and all day. I was thinking this is probably the longest snow storm that I have witnessed. Schools were closed, my husband worked from home but I still had to go to work this morning if I expected to get paid. They let out us a couple of hours early so that was good. At least I got to fishtail myself there and back in the daylight though visibility at times was still challenging.

Tomorrow there is a two hour delay for the schools. I know that people have to shuffle their children to school, blah blah blah but with the school day already shorter than the business day, why are weather issues a catastrophe for them when the rest of us still have to observe our regular hours. I had to quickly make arrangements for my children to spend tomorrow's two hour delay with others so that I can show up to work on time.

The private sector does not take kindly to the vagaries of the school schedule. I remember when my oldest was a toddler and there was little sympathy for me when I was late to work because of an issue with her or her care-giving. With the school year topping out at 180 days, that makes a full 16 weeks or 80 weekdays that the children are not in school where alternate care is required if you are a working parent.

Since we are decades past the need for children to work on the farm and children in all other countries study a lot longer than ours do and America and all people American are no longer the center of the universe and teachers get paid the same as the rest of us for 36 weeks of work and receive a decent lifetime pension and are still complaining that they are not paid enough and the tax dollars continue to fall short of public spending and all of these things continue to add to the imbalance of the current debt-ridden world...Houston, we have a problem.

No comments: