Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reasons to Be Cheerful, Part Four: August has Delivered

All of my lamenting about the weather has been put to rest over the last 10 days. August has delivered. Since our first 90 degree day 10 days ago, the weather has remained warm enough to satisfy my soul. I have been to so many different beaches in the last 10 days, I have no rival.

My husband, whenever he is available to join me and the children on one of our beach excursions, always has the same three questions: "Where are we going? Have we been there before? Why can't you just pick a beach and stick to it? Well, Suffolk County has some of the most beautiful beaches, it is no accident that Suffolk County has two of the top ten beaches in America according to Dr. Beach.

Though Dr. Beach favors ocean beaches which are on the south shore, I must point out that the Long Island sound beaches on the north shore are just as beautiful.
The setting reminds me of the Cape with bluffs high above the water overlooking beautiful coves. The water is calm, clear bay water and and the beaches are dazzling white though some complain that they are too rocky, nothing that aqua shoes can't cure though.

When we really feel like swimming we head up north where the Sound feels like one big giant swimming pool and you can pull up your chair to the edge, relax and read while the water gently laps at your feet. Brookhaven Town has a free residents-only beach which just happens to be my favorite north shore beach. The Town has free ocean beaches but they require a boat or a ferry ride across the Great South Bay which can make it cost prohibitive for many, including myself. Thus, I trek further out East to get my ocean fill. It is well worth the trip to run over to Westhampton or Southampton for a glorious day.

My least favorite beaches are those on the Great South Bay which just happens to be the closest to me. In fact, my street dead ends at the bay.
The water quality is lacking in my opinion and is loaded with seaweed but the beaches are well utilized because of their proximity. However, it is great for boating and fishing and every advantage is taken in both regards. We go crabbing on the bay and have done quite well this year with our catches; meals have been made. This is a great year for crabbing, the bay is loaded, you feel like you can literally scoop them up as they float by.

See how happy I am now! Like I said, all I need is some sunshine.

No comments: