Monday, August 10, 2009

Reasons to Be Cheerful, Part Three: A 90 degree Day

I spent the first 90 degree Day of the summer at the beach in Southampton. Oooh Yeah! Actually, we set out to Coopers Beach, the number three beach on Dr. Beach's 2009 Best Beaches in America list. Actually Long Island has two beaches on the list, Main Beach in East Hampton takes the number five slot. I visited Main Beach a few summers ago so I thought I'd broaden my reach by going to Coopers.

I did a little research as I am wont to do and I was prepared to pay $20-$25 to park which is a lot, but reasonable for a day trip I thought. It turns out that the parking fee is $40. Wow, now that is steep, even for a 'killer' beach. I decided that no self-respecting unemployed person should pay $40 to park at the beach. Fortunately, the young lady at the gate who truly could have been a brat but was not suggested another beach down the road that had free parking*.

The 'free' beach had no lifeguards, snack bar, or any amenities whatsoever but that was fine with us, we had plenty of food and everything we needed. It was beautiful, few people, fine, soft sand and clean, clear water with little seaweed. It was fantastic. It is my new favorite beach.

We stopped at Coopers on the way back home to check it out; most beaches stop charging for parking at 5pm. Except for the amenities, the sand and water is basically the same as our 'free' beach so we did well and saved ourselves some bucks to boot.


* I do not want to give out too much detail on the 'free' beach location lest my new island paradise be overrun :)

No comments: