Thursday, September 3, 2009

Summer's Last Hurrah

Ah, it is Labor Day weekend, summer's last hurrah. This is when all the Long Island beaches officially close for the summer. Hopefully, the weather holds up for us. It has been rather cool over the last week so I need a spike so I can get in my last dips.

Given the economy, I had expected attendance to be up at area beaches this year but it just did not seem so. Perhaps, I have found paradise in my choices in that I attend few beaches that are overrun. I do sometimes wonder why anyone would fight with summer traffic to travel down the east coast to go to same ocean. But, as I have enjoyed my beaches and looked around, I can see why.

Outside of Montauk, which has some nice beaches and mostly motel-style accommodations, there are really no destination beach towns; no consumer-driven boardwalks, no fancy hotels or resort-like accommodations, few 'in' places to eat and relax, and in general not enough elements to really round out what we would consider a true beach vacation. In fact, most of my favorite beaches are surrounded by beach mansions that are available at rental prices well beyond the middle class budget.

The ocean beaches do provide for some excellent day trips though and since I live in Suffolk County, it can seems like I am on a permanent summer vacation (when the weather cooperates), except I come home at night. Many beach towns in Suffolk County gained fame from being destination beach towns with fancy hotels and the like back in the early part of the 20th century. A little creative thinking and some investor dollars could usher in a new wave of tourism which could be a boost to the local economy
. But, seeing as this is Long Island and any development occurs at a snail's pace, I won't hold my breath.

No comments: